Friday, March 1, 2013

Thank you tax man!

I am happily shocked to say that my tax refund is about $2,750! Normally I get a refund anywhere from $750 to $1,500, but this year was especially good! It's partly because of the house purchase (first time home buyer credit) and I didn't make as much in freelance last year, so I didn't have to pay much in taxes for that. Whatever the reasons though, I will take it!

With this pleasant surprise, we won't have to dip into our home repair fund for the foundation work this summer. I know that it's what we have it for, but I was worried that if we used it right after buying the house, we would be at a disadvantage should anything else go wrong. I'd like to get it built up more before we dip into it.

Husband can now do his taxes and I'm hoping he gets anywhere between $500 to $1,000. Keep your fingers crossed!

As well, I found out that while my workplace pays for my schooling, I can still claim the months I was in school, which I didn't do in 2010 or 2011. So I've sent off a letter to Canada Revenue Agency asking them to adjust accordingly. Hopefully I will get a little bit of money back for that too.


No comments:

Post a Comment